Thursday, July 1, 2010

Word of the Day

Hunky dory:  about as well as one could wish or expect; satisfactory; fine; OK
    “Hunky dory” is one of my favorite words.  There is nothing sophisticated about it.  To use the word properly, you need to add a certain Midwest twang or at least be wearing denim overalls.  “Hunky dory” is wholesome.  It far outranks “OK” in its casual style. 

   Think for a moment how synonyms can express completely different connotations and contexts to the same exchange.

    At the opera house during intermission, you might hear a critical connoisseur of the opera say, “The soprano was satisfactory.”  Someone in a black evening dress with a diamond necklace would never say, “The soprano was hunky dory,”  though in an unguarded moment amongst her girlfriends, she might say, “That bass is a hunk!”

    On the other hand, ask a farm boy at the county fair how he enjoyed the Ferris Wheel, and “hunky dory” might very well follow “golly” in his enthusiasm.  But don’t expect “satisfactory” from him—though his older teenage brother might roll his eyes and say “fine” in a sarcastic tone or “OK” with a bored manner.

    As for me, I think it is simply hunky dory that Dictionary.com chose “hunky dory” as the word of the day.  But, then, I have a yen for good old-fashioned words.
   

4 comments:

  1. I thought I'd holler your way, Jan! The bass wouldn't be a hunk any more, inless you put it him in the correct context- a hunk of man meat. Now he would be hot. He used to be smoking, but thats outdated, too. Isn't the English language fun? How are ya doin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I thought of another great one, Jan- cutie patootie. You never hear anyone called that any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought "hunky-Dory" meant superlative, excellent, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dictionary surprised me, too. And as for slang,yes, I am hopelessly outdated! And as for technology, well, I just now thought to check for any comments.

    ReplyDelete