Friday, July 9, 2010

I Seem To Have Lost My Prose . . .

    I seem to have lost my prose for the time being.  All that is coming out of my fingers to the keyboard is poetry.  Yesterday, a rhymed two-liner hit me and stayed with me until I could get back to my computer:

    Relief can sting
    Like anything.

    Now that I have a handy voice recorder—smaller than a cell phone!—I haven’t had occasion to use it.  Inspiration, it appears, has been rendered mute by the possibility of recording it.

    In the same amazon.com package with the voice recorder came the digital tuner/metronome.  I haven’t tried the tuner yet, but the metronome came in handy for practicing my flutes yesterday.  I found out how fast the gypsy theme from Carmen (one of our flute choir pieces) really is.  And I tested my tempos on “What Wondrous Love Is This,” the alto flute solo I’ll be playing at church on the 25th.

    Using a metronome sort of reminds me of cruise control.  Until you use either one, you can fool yourself into thinking you are being consistent in your pace.    So I found out where I speed up and where I slow down. 

    I think, perhaps, I am a little worried about trying the tuner because I know that I have plenty of tone and tuning inconsistencies.  We’re working on matching tones in flute lessons.  Maybe I can eventually learn to hear and know when I’m flat or sharp!

    And, yes, the flute lessons are helping me a lot.  Kim is working with me on tonal quality, something I’ve never had much control over.  An adjustment in how I line up my flute along with the position adjustment I had already made, plus work on embouchure and breathing are making a difference that I can hear at least.
 
    This morning, I’ll practice my flutes as usual.  This afternoon, I hope to go for a nice long walk at the tidal flats.  I’ll bring my voice recorder, just in case inspiration hits, and maybe this time I’ll remember binoculars in case I see another heron or eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment