Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Mistress of Sleep

    Benjamin Franklin’s proverb needs some tweaking:

        Early to bed, late to rise
        Makes a Jan healthy, wealthy, and wise.

    You see, I am the mistress of sleep.  (Check the dictionary.  Besides the definition that automatically comes to mind, “mistress” also means a woman particularly skilled in some subject, and it’s not the one you’re thinking of!)

    Last night I was asleep by 11:30.  This morning I woke at 8:50, feeling wonderfully refreshed and rested if not a little guilty for sleeping in so late.

    I’ve read on WebMD that sleep promotes weight loss.  It also reduces stress.  And it is something most Americans don’t get enough of.

    A good night’s sleep is mine when I monitor my caffeine intake, take my Reliv supplements, go on a walk, and refuse the temptation of a snack just before bedtime.  Now, admittedly, because of my fibromyalgia, I still need the half dose of Ambien plus melatonin to be able to sleep all night.  But that is no big deal, because I used to take a full dose and still not sleep through the night.

    Any of you former or current insomniacs will appreciate the gift a good night of sleep is.  I’ve had whole nights of sleep which left me tired, stiff, and achy.  But not today.  I may have a late start on the day, but it’s a good one.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment