Monday, July 26, 2010

Blogability

    You won’t find blogability in a dictionary. 

    I propose two definitions for this wonderful noun that I thought I had coined until I found it on the Internet this morning.  My definitions are  1. The ability to write a blog;  2.  The type of writing suitable for a blog.

    Until this very moment, I have suffered from a blogability block since last Thursday.  (Both definitions can apply; however, I was thinking of the second one.  And please note that I have used the noun as an adjective.)

    I’ve been writing, yes, but nothing that has seemed bloggable.  I suddenly went into the “Dear Diary” mode at my computer.  That plus poetry that would make absolutely no sense to anyone other than myself and/or is superbly awful, maybe even more awful than poetry I have posted in the past.  (English teachers note my willful use of a lengthy sentence fragment.)  With those statements made, you may realize that the second definition of blogability is highly subjective.  In fact, you may hold the private opinion that none of my posts are suitable for a blog.  And that’s alright, as long as you keep your opinion to yourself.

    Definition number one seems to be a kissing cousin to definition number two.  I realize that writing a blog requires no actual writing ability; anyone can post anything and call it a blog.  But “ability” in the sense of being able to sit at the keyboard and come up with random words to type onto the blank posting page is something else. 

    Blogs are a really wonderful invention for aspiring writers.  They allow room for error and editing—readers surely realize that blogs are rough draft outposts on the way to final draft destinations.  Oh, did that sound good!  I love making allowances for the rough draftiness* of my writing.  That way no one has to know if I mistakenly think I have finally finished a polished product.  (Oops!  Just a theoretical statement, you know.) 

*The use of draftiness as opposed to draftness is intentional.  It brings to mind a cool breeze of revision waiting to ruffle my screen’s virtual pages into some sort of order.  Suddenly I am intrigued by rhyming possibilities of draft and daft . . . but I promise I won’t post those.  At least not now.

No comments:

Post a Comment