Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Mother Still Surprises Me

    My mother still surprises me.

    This morning, she was the one who noticed that Gunner, our large mutt on a lead chain, had gotten his collar hooked to the perimeter fence of the cougar cage.  He was barking and generally complaining about being stuck.

    The first time she informed me of the situation, I was here at my computer doing my morning wake-up routine:  mug of coffee in hand, checking email.  I told her I would go out and get Gunner unhooked after I showered and dressed.  Even out here in the country, there is no way I am going to go outside in my pajamas with my bedhead of crushed and spiked hair going every which way.  That would surely be the time a UPS or FedEx truck would pull up to deliver a package.

    So, in honor of the dog and--I must admit--so I could minimize the number of times Mom told me with sorrow and surprise that Gunner was stuck, I cut short my computer routine to get ready for the day.

    Almost done with my shower, I heard Mom’s voice outside the bathroom:  “Janis, I got Gunner unstuck.”

    Relief (I honestly didn’t know if I was capable of unhooking him from the fence) and amazement swept over me.  How did she do it with her compromised vision and shaky hands?

    So here I am back at my computer, ready for the day, listening to Mom playing the parlor pump organ, another one of the things she does that shows me she is a remarkable woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment