Saturday, October 12, 2024

Blessings

One of the convenient things about having my chemotherapy in Bartlesville is that my son can drop me off at my morning appointments. Yesterday, I received the schedule and appointment times for the first two rounds of chemo, which gets me to the halfway point. Then OCSRI will schedule me for the last two rounds.

Getting treatment involves three separate appointments. Tuesday will be getting my labs done. Wednesday will be chemo day, which takes about four hours. Thursday will be injection day (a shot to help keep my white blood cell count up). Then I get three weeks off.  

The first round will be October 15-17. The second round will be November 5-7. Round three will be near the end of November, and round four will be completed before Christmas.

I’m enjoying doing various errands around town. Knowing that I will be “down” for at least a few days after each chemo session makes me appreciate the ability to get out now. Today I took my son to and from work, went to a few garage sales, went to the pharmacy, and browsed at a local clothing store.  Yesterday I went to WalMart, which normally isn’t on my list of fun things to do, but it is now. I’m reminded to thank God for all the little things that I normally take for granted.

Each day I gain a little more ground. It is a happy surprise when I reach for something with my right arm, and it doesn’t hurt. I’m thrilled to be sitting here typing instead of using speech to text. Yesterday I saw all five of my grandchildren, which was a real treat. It’s so nice to be able to do more things, even the twice a day stretching exercises to keep my lymphatic system in good shape and to improve my range of motion.

I couldn’t stand my shaggy hair another moment and got it trimmed this morning even though in 3-4 weeks it will all come out. I plan to have my head shaved before I start to shed, though. But I’m sure enjoying these last weeks of having hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment