Thursday, July 12, 2012

Staging


Stage:   a point, period, or step in a process.
            Maybe it is lactic acid build-up in my muscles.  I seem to remember having read something about that once, but it’s hard to tell with the fog rolling in from the Sound straight into my brain.
            Right now I am in stage two of the starting-my-day process, which appears to be an instant replay of yesterday’s experience.  Again, this morning I woke early, feeling as though every muscle in my body was being squeezed and stretched to capacity.  I finally creaked out of bed at six.  Protein breakfast shake, morning meds, coffee, and computer did not perform the usual magic, so at seven I went back to bed.  About the time I remembered that a pain pill might be in order, my cat climbed up on me, kneading my achy left bicep and settling her ten-pound weight in for a little catnap.
            I obliged and slept for thirty minutes.  Unable to sleep any longer, I got up again.  The word “staging” entered my fogged-over brain, and I obediently followed it to the computer, flax muffin and skim milk in hand.  As I started to write, I popped one Tylenol #3, which is the back-up plan when the breakthrough pain gets out of hand despite the daily Celebrex.  Pain is a funny thing:  it’s better to get ahead of it than let it drag you to the depths.  I woke up already behind, so I hope that a little extra pharmaceutical relief will help move me toward my goal of being a functional human being today.
            There really should be no surprise in this flare-up of my fibromyalgia symptoms after the exciting and rigorous week of General Assembly followed by a fun day with my friend Jody and the long trip home.  It’s good that I can take things slow and easy now.  Flute and laundry and one more nap before lunch should get me through the morning.  The afternoon sunshine will beckon me outside to get my joints moving and some errands done.  Then more laundry, watering the garden, desk work, reading, preparing a simple supper for my brother and me, watching the news, doing more reading, and petting the cat should be sufficient activity for the rest of the day—all interspersed with catnaps as needed.
           
           
           

No comments:

Post a Comment