Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Click Less


            I spent a lot of unproductive time on the Internet yesterday, looking for cheap airfares and searching for part-time job possibilities.  I need to supplement my retirement income so that I can continue to make those quarterly trips to see my family.
            Even as I browsed, I knew I was getting nowhere fast.  It occurred to me that I would be in much better shape if I spent as much time praying as I do chasing the unattainable on the Internet.  That did not stop me, however.
            At bedtime, as usual, I reached for the daily Lectionary readings and my Message Study Bible.  Before I turned to the day’s reading, I told God I was sorry for trying to find His answers on the Internet especially when I have the clear sense that He is going to open doors I cannot open myself.
            And then I opened my Bible to the psalm of the week, Psalm 37.  I saw that I had, sometime in the past few months, highlighted verses five and six: 
“Open up before God, keep nothing back; he’ll do whatever needs to be done”
Stunned again.  Reading on to verse seven, I saw this:
“Quiet down before God, be prayerful before him”
Oh, my.  Those verses unleashed more prayer.  I asked for forgiveness and rejoiced in His grace.  It is time to “open up” and “quiet down.”   It is time to let Him lead.  Yes, I’ll still search the Internet, but without the frantic aspect.  I’ll listen to Him, stay open to His nudges.  I’ll trust more and click less.

No comments:

Post a Comment