Thursday, July 5, 2012

Nice To Know (with apologies for funky formatting)


Thursday, July 05, 2012
6 a.m.   Alarm rings.  I groan.
7 a.m.   Coffee and breakfast buffet at First Presbyterian Church.
7:30 a.m.  Head out from First Presbyterian with one-mile prayer walk group.
8:30 a.m.  Business Session 6.
10:30 a.m. I must sleep.  Now.  Mid-Councils debate and decisions will have to proceed
unobserved by me.
11:30 a.m. I’m a little late for worship. 
12:15 p.m. Attend Synod of Alaska-Northwest luncheon.
1:30 p.m.   Business Session 7.
3:50 p.m.   With each passing hour, I realize more how little I know.  At this rate, by the
end of the day, I will know nothing.

4:45 p.m.*   EADs and MADs often agree
                      On matters prone to uncertainty;
                      TSADs and YAADs lead the way
                      No matter the commissioners’ dismay.

5:45 p.m.  Business Session 7 adjourns.  Divestment to follow after dinner.
6:30 p.m.  After a fruit smoothie and bran muffin downtown, I am back in the room to
spend quality time with my computer.  
 
7:30 p.m.   Business Session 8. 
10:30 p.m. Session is not yet over, but I leave, realizing two things:  1. I understand theprocess (Robert’s Rules of Order) much better now; 2. I do not know how I would have voted once the substitute motion became the main motion.  Now, back in my room, it hits me.  Instead of knowing nothing, I know something at least:  I left my sweater in the conference center, and I am not walking all the way back to retrieve it tonight.  It’s awfully nice to be sure about something.

*EAD (Ecumenical Advisory Delegate)
MAD (Missionary Advisory Delegate)
TSAD (Theological Student Advisory Delegate)
YAAD (Young Adult Advisory Delegate)

No comments:

Post a Comment