Friday, July 6, 2012

Oops


Friday, July 06, 2012
            When my brother Bob learned I would be attending the PC (USA) General Assembly, he said, “Democracy is messy.”  I agree with him.
            I am sitting in Business Session 11, and it is 7:40 p.m.  “Will the assembly adopt the amendment to the amendment?” is the question Moderator Neal Presa just posed.  I am having a hard time tracking after a very long day.  After finishing committee 13’s business (Marriage and Civil Union), there is still the business of eight more committees to cover before assembly ends tomorrow.  We are embroiled in layers of parliamentary procedures.  I am beginning to understand how so little seems to be accomplished in Congress.
            However (a key word for Presbyterian debate), I do not want to dwell on the frustrations of parliamentary procedure.  What I wish to emphasize is what a wonderful job Moderator Neal Presa is doing.  He remains calm and collected with a sense of humor.  But what I appreciate the most is his awareness of the assembly atmosphere, pausing for prayer before and after votes on sensitive issues.
            I’m going to have to leave off the writing so I can start to follow the discussion.  I think that there might be some actual debate soon.  Hopefully I haven’t somehow missed the point of the past thirty minutes.  Oops.  Committee 13’s report just concluded.  I promise not to blog during business sessions at the 221st General Assembly in Detroit.

No comments:

Post a Comment