Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Looking Back at GA


July 10, 2012
            I am most grateful for North Puget Sound Presbytery’s practice of sending alternate commissioners to General Assembly.  It was a fantastic and exhausting experience that equips me for the fantastic, exhausting experience that the 2014 General Assembly in Detroit will be.
            For one, I know better how to prepare.  Besides the obvious (reading and taking notes on every single item of business that will come before the assembly), I also now know some terribly important personal details for the week:  every pair of shoes must be sturdy walking shoes; layers and comfort are the key words for clothing choices; and I must bring peanut butter and crackers and boxed milk to keep in the hotel room.
            A perusal of Presbyterian acronyms would also be in order.  An abridged list was given in our conference handbooks; the full list available from the website was, I believe, fourteen pages long.  It took me a few days to realize that the “REC” on the screen when some commissioners spoke did not mean “recording” but “Ruling Elder Commissioner.”  And “TEC” had nothing to do with technical difficulties but stood for “Teaching Elder Commissioner.”  The one very important and frequently used acronym that surprised me every time was “AI”:  “Authoritative Interpretation.”  Having taught at a rural community college for nineteen years, and having had many students who also were in the horse production program, “AI” is, to my mind at least, synonymous with “Artificial Insemination.”
            I loved attending Assembly as an observer because it gave me the freedom to do things I won’t have time to do as a commissioner:  spend hours in the exhibit hall, go on a mission tour, leave a business session when my brain checks out (which was long before the 1:40 a.m. adjournment time on Friday evening’s session).  I collected enough reading material from various exhibits to keep me busy for a long, long time.  The mission tour was an inspiring experience I won’t soon forget.  I appreciated the sleep I had Friday night.
            And here is another thing, one of the two main things:  getting a better sense of the denomination as a whole.  The diversity is exciting, the division not so much.  I loved experiencing a wide variety of styles of music and worship.  I enjoyed talking with people from all over the country.  I love the diversity of PC (USA), yet it is that very diversity that can sow the seeds for division.  As the moderator stated after one of the closely split votes, “We are a divided body.”  The challenge, as I see it, for the body, is learning to love past our divisions.  I have no idea how that works as far as policy and polity go.  It’s fair to predict that more congregations will leave the denomination in years to come.  It’s sad to see the lobbying—coming from both and all sides—that resulted in use of parliamentary procedures to stall or divert debate. 
            The only way I know to live in the tension caused by differing theologies in the same denomination sounds terribly simplistic:  to love our fellow Presbyterians as ourselves.  If we cannot show charity to each other in the midst of disagreement and division, we are not the church Christ calls us to be.  I’m not a big-picture person; I have no idea how or if the denomination can survive its inner splits or if it should.  But I do know that Christ calls us to love; he calls us to live our faith with integrity; and he asks us to have our eyes trained on him.
            And the other main thing?  I learned on a whole new level that Presbyterians are a people of prayer.  I am not so naïve as to believe that every single Presbyterian practices prayer on a regular basis, but I believe many do.  Individual prayer and corporate prayer draw us to God’s heart. 
            So, in order to prepare for the 221st General Assembly in Detroit, Michigan from June 14-21, 2014, I have an agenda:  to get more spiritually fit and more physically fit so that I will be ready to face the rigors of the immersion experience that General Assembly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment