Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Grace Under Fire

Wednesday, July 04, 2012
            This afternoon I witnessed a remarkable demonstration of humility and love in the face of attack.  The vice-moderator’s resignation was a stunning display of genuine love for Christ and his church. 
It seems I operate in a bubble, forever out of the loop:  I was completely unaware of the bitter controversy that had been brewing since Sunday.  I am very saddened by what led to the vice-moderator’s voluntary resignation.  Her selfless action to step down in order to facilitate church process here at General Assembly is an embodiment of the love described in I Corinthians 13.
Earlier today, I decided to go pray in the chapel here at the convention center.  Not remembering the room number and unwilling to dig through the depths of my purse to find it, I asked at the spirituality center.  One of the prayer volunteers there offered to pray with me if I wished.  I said yes. 
There in the chapel I shared what was burning in my heart:  to pray for the Holy Spirit’s presence in the plenary sessions.  We both prayed.  God was there.  Three hours later, sitting in the first session of the day, I was reminded again what love looks like in the midst of division. 
Vice-moderator Tara Spuhler McCabe shared her dismay at the bitter attacks against her which created her concern that the work before General Assembly would be sidetracked by attempts to undermine her confirmation.   Out of her pastor’s heart, she decided to step down as vice-moderator so that the Assembly could move forward in its business.  Her words and action today showed a depth of integrity and humility to which we all should aspire. 
How much we need God's grace.  When will the church learn to love beyond, despite, and through all of our differences?


No comments:

Post a Comment