Friday, October 2, 2026

Best News

Yesterday, I received my September 30th PET scan results: “No evidence of metabolically active malignancy.” That’s the best news anyone with stage IV cancer can receive. Obviously, the treatments are working fabulously. However, an “all clear” does not mean you are done with treatments because they are what continue to keep that nasty cancer away.

Today, October 2nd, marks a full year since I started palliative care. This is a happy milestone, too. A year ago, I thought I might not even live for another twelve months. And here I am, perhaps a little worse for wear, but happily alive.

A week ago, my 18-month-old granddaughter, Annabelle, gave us all a laugh. Normally, she is super happy to see me. But when Dana carried her in from the car, Annabelle just looked at me, no reaction. Dana said, “I think it’s the hat.” I whipped my chemo cap off, and immediately Annabelle was all smiles. My bald head is normal to her!

And I must say it’s getting kind of normal to me, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment