Three weeks just disappeared. At least that’s what it feels like now. The weeks themselves seemed slow, and now here comes my infusion day on the 17th.
This go-round was the best in quite a while. On Sunday
the 6th, I suddenly got some energy back, which was a very pleasant
surprise. And at that point, I could really see the benefit of my Visible
health app. During the first week after my infusion, my heart rate spiked
whenever I got up from my bed or recliner. It would stay in the “exertion zone”
even while I was reclining in my recliner. That showed me how hard the
treatments are on my body. However, once I hit the feeling better days, the old
heart rate settled down.
With a bit more energy came some motivation, and I’ve
spent time just about every day on decluttering. I have what seems like
mountains of journals, poetry, and photos to purge. (They fill up an antique
storage cabinet and much of one closet.) After reading my diary from 6th
and 7th grade and then an old three-ring binder of poetry from my
early teen years, I was ready to take a break. Oh, the many crushes of junior
high years followed by the angst of freshman and sophomore years. All that got
tossed. I had hoped there would be some decent poetry, but it was all pretty
awful. To put it bluntly, I got sick of my teenage self!
So, I moved on to a storage bin that had been taped up
since 2009. It turned out to be things of my sister’s (who died in 2009) that I
wanted to save. The photos were a mixed lot. I tossed the many photos Anne had
taken of her house that she had built in the early 2000’s: the lot clearing of some
trees, the foundation and framing, and the woods around. There were even multiple
CDs of Kodak photos that I assumed were more housebuilding photos. Without a
means of viewing the CDs, I said, “Oh, well,” and added them to the box of
throwaways. But there were also pictures from our childhood that I kept for the
meantime, at least, not knowing if I will discover duplicates in the photo albums
and stray pictures that are stacked on the top shelf of the closet.
I also looked through the many oncology reports Anne
had saved from her three years with recurrent ovarian cancer. And then I went
on to her elementary school artwork, her grades and college transcripts and awards
and diplomas. I even tossed the large certificate of her master’s degree in
microbiology and immunology.
Today I am finishing the reading of letters she kept
from me, our brothers, and our mom. It’s like spending actual time with family,
reading the earlier versions of ourselves. I read and I reflect and I toss. The
storage bin is now empty, and I will choose another bin or box or album to work
on next.
Where does this leave me? Grateful to have my family
right here in town. Once my brothers, sister, and I grew up, we scattered to
the four winds. We did keep in touch via letters, phone calls, and occasional
visits, but those slowed down as the years went by. I am blessed to have my son
living with me and my daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren just a 10–15-minute
drive away.
It’s been so nice to feel good again and take that
extended trip down memory lane. I look forward to feeling good again a little
over a week after my September 17 infusion.
No comments:
Post a Comment