Thursday, October 8, 2026

Mixed Report

Dr. Moussa said it several times with emphasis: “You are doing a good job.”

I told him I was glad to still be alive, a whole year later.

He was very happy with my PET scan results. Me, too.

Out of yesterday’s appointment with my oncologist came plenty of affirmation.

And my observations brought solemn agreement and promise of follow-ups.

Because my port has become blocked four times in the past year with fibrin sheaths that my body seems to produce in abundance—and unblocked by injections in it with what I call the “clot buster”—Dr. Moussa ordered a port study. It is a brief imaging study that will be done here at the local hospital by a radiologist to determine if I need a new port. It’s set for October 19.

The more concerning thing is that I’ve developed lymphedema in my right arm and cording under my armpit. Both are quite uncomfortable. I’ve noticed mild swelling in my arm but have not been sure about it. The cording I discovered this week. I went sleeveless and prosthetic-less to my appointment I could easily show him. He recognized the lymphedema and cording right away. (I’m too brain foggy to explain, so you’ll have to look it up. It involves damage to the lymph system.) Dr. Moussa will refer me to a lymphedema specialist. Treatment includes wearing a compression sleeve. I’m hoping to receive the referral call tomorrow.

The other thing I showed him is a several-inch strange trail of small dark spots going down over my left shoulder. He said we would keep an eye on it. (It might be a Trodelvy side effect.)

I’m rather down about the lymphedema and cording. They are two side effects of having breast surgery and removal of lymph nodes that I really hoped to avoid. I’ve noticed recently that my right arm gets fatigued and hurts more quickly with any kind of use. (I’ve had problems with that arm ever since an ulnar nerve injury back in the early 1990s and a shoulder dislocation in 2004.)

Today was treatment day, and the pain and fatigue have begun.

But here is what I choose to remember: God is present. I can call on Him no matter how lousy I feel. I am weak, but he is strong. He’ll get me through this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment