Friday, June 29, 2012

On the Way to General Assembly


Friday, June 29, 2012
SeaTac, 7:27 a.m.
            I’ ve been up since four.  That, in itself, should excuse any writing lapses on my part.  Now I am waiting for my 9:05 flight to Chicago Midway, where, with any luck, I will make the connection to Pittsburgh International Airport.  Already my lower back is complaining over my choice of backpack over rolling bag carry-on.
            Last night, reading in a recent Presbyterians Today magazine, I got excited.  I want to see some of the Pittsburgh church plants, the innovative ways of being church in the 21st century.  Instead of trying to come up with creative structures, people are diving in to what God opens up to them.  When we join in the Holy Spirit’s work instead of trying to artificially impose our own ideas, Jesus is glorified and lives are changed.
            Last night as I tried, unsuccessfully, to go to sleep really early, the Holy Spirit showed up.  How can one describe the joyous, open peace that the Spirit brings?  I prayed that as I attend General Assembly, I will be receptive to God’s voice.  I asked for discernment as well as opportunity to somehow be a blessing to others.  I begged to be able to leave behind any self-serving agendas.  Then I read the last section of a little Henri Nouwen book I picked up in a used bookstore last week.  Naturally, I cannot remember the title, but there were three sections:  silence, solitude, prayer.  The prayer section picked up right where God is working with me.
            I am somewhat prepared.  I’ve read or skimmed through many of the overtures.  I’ve watched the webinars.  I am grateful to be an observer this first time around.  Besides attending committee meetings and plenary sessions, I plan to spend a lot of time in the exhibit hall.  I’m going to check the schedule to see if I can take in a Pittsburgh Presbytery missions tour.  I’m going on the Thursday morning prayer walk.  Right now, though, I’m going to pick up something nutritious (or close to nutritious at least) for lunch on the plane.  And, once aboard, I hope this morning coffee won’t interfere with a much-needed nap.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment