Monday, June 4, 2012

All Backed Up


            I am all backed up with books.
            It would take too long to list the backlog of free books on my Kindle.  Suffice it to say that I am well prepared for days of nonstop reading.  What I’m thinking of now is the stack of real books I lugged home Saturday when I stopped in at Freeland Library to pick up a novel on hold:  Erica Bauermeister’s Joy for Beginners.  I even made it in and out of the library without browsing and picking up additional books.  That, however, was not the case at the library’s monthly book sale.
            I exercise remarkable self-control when it comes to fiction.  I rarely purchase a fiction title, preferring to use the library or Amazon Prime’s free checkout plan or limited time free offers for the Kindle.  And, normally, I do the same for nonfiction, but today I bought three books that look equally fascinating.
            I’ve wanted to get a copy of Richard Foster’s classic, Celebration of Discipline, for a long time.  I enjoy reading Brian McLaren, so I also nabbed A New Kind of Christian:  A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey.  Last of all, I saw an intriguing title with a recommendation by Walter Brueggeman, And God Said:  How Translations Conceal the Bible’s Original Meaning by Dr. Joel M. Hoffman.
            Several weeks back, I bought another book I’ve always wanted to read:  Brennan Manning’s The Ragamuffin Gospel.  There are also the library books I checked out last week, including  Being Christian:  Exploring Where You, God, and Life Connect by Stephen Arterburn and John Shore.  Right now I’m in the middle of Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan.  And I need to brush up on documentation skills, so it’s time to look through my library copy of Cite Right:  A Quick Guide to Citation Styles—MLA, APA, Chicago, the Sciences, Professions, and More.
            But what I really, really need to do is wade through the online documents that are preparatory reading for the 2012 General Assembly.  An hour a day for the next four weeks should get me through the online backlog at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment