Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Marking Time


June 17, 2012
            For many weeks I marked time from Saturday to Saturday.  That was, of course, the day my sister died.  Eventually, the solemnity of Saturdays eased into remembrance on the third of each month.  (She died on October 3, 2009.)  Then grief moved to special dates:  her birthday, all holidays, the accumulating annual anniversaries of her death . . . That is not entirely true:  I still think of her almost every day.  Sometimes I smile with a memory; sometimes I am seized by sadness.  How I miss her.  This June 20th, she would have turned 59.  Happy Birthday, Anne.


June 19, 2012
            Pale orange berries with tangerine highlights are my favorite.  Just like gems, as Mom used to say, they sparkle in the sun.  Ripe and ready, they glisten with yesterday’s rain and fall off into my fingers.  Today is the first ready berry day.  I snack my way down the driveway, remembering berry picking with Mom.  Though we used to pick them and freeze them by the quart, they are best enjoyed fresh off the bush.
            Today was another cool and gloomy day . . . until 2 p.m., that is.  The clouds parted to reveal glorious sunshine and bright blue sky.  I celebrated by tasting berries and hosing down the fur-filled welcome mat.  My brother, niece, and nephew will be here day after tomorrow. 

June 20, 2012
            Happy Birthday to you,
            Happy Birthday to you,
            Happy Birthday, dear Anne,
            Happy Birthday to you!
            I don’t know if birthdays are celebrated in heaven, but I’m still remembering Anne here on earth. 
            The day promises to be sunny and warm, which matches my heart for my sister.  And, just think—tomorrow brings my brother Bob, nephew Richard, and niece Robin.  Let the summer begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment