Monday, June 13, 2011

Something New Every Day


            Poor cell phone reception caused me to step out my back door this morning.  As I made my call, I heard a low drone as loud as a locust just over my head.  What kind of huge insect was threatening to dive bomb me?  I ducked and looked around.  Then I saw it:  a hummingbird.  I’ve never been close enough to a hummingbird to know what a racket those high-speed wings raise.
            Mom de-headed some huge store-bought strawberries.  When she was through, she commented on her task:  “They sure put pretty blossoms on those strawberries.   Probably to make them look and sell better.  I remember doing that with my strawberries.”
            Oh, and earlier this morning Mom reported that Orie (our house cat) was standing in his water dish.
            So, already today, I’ve learned something new about hummingbirds, puzzled over how you put blossoms on strawberries, and wondered what standing in a water dish means.  If I ever figure it all out, I’ll be sure to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment