Monday, June 27, 2011

Back to the Berries


            I ate my way up the driveway Saturday morning. 
            I have the luxury of choosing the best.  Color is only the first criterion because ripeness can be an orange-yellow, orange-red, or purplish-red.  After color comes definition.  There is a certain look to ripe berries, a slight separation occurring where berry meets blossom and in between each seeded bump.  The last test is touch:  the berry should “give” slightly to a gentle squeeze and practically fall off the stem.
            Once I have the perfect berry in hand, I have learned, it is wise to give it a final close-up inspection for insects.  If it passes the test, I pop it in my mouth and enjoy the wild berry combination of sweet and sour succulence. 
            And on the way back down the driveway, mail and newspaper in hand, I sampled berries from the other side.  It was a delicious walk.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment