Monday, January 10, 2011

Word of the Day


            I have a lickerish for licorice.

            Let’s see . . . can you “have” an adjective for a noun?

            Just to clarify, here is the definition for my lickerishness for licorice:  “fond of and eager for choice food.”  And, I sincerely hope I haven’t missed any questionable connotations for lickerish.

            I remember happily snarfing down black licorice at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp with Sally.  Eating black licorice poses a problem for flutists.  Besides the black tongue and black mouth, there is the concern of little tiny pieces of licorice spewing forth from one’s mouth into one’s flute.  So we brushed our teeth a lot.

            Now, I do not mean to leave Barb out, but I’m stumped at this moment as to her fondness for licorice.  And anyway, she played bassoon, and I have no inkling of what if any problems licorice causes for double reeds
.
            (By the way, Barb, Sally, and I became the best of friends at music camp in 1970.  Barb and Sally are the ones who came all the way to Whidbey Island to celebrate my 55th last August.)

            To this day, I enjoy a tasty morsel of black licorice now and then, but it has to be soft enough so it doesn’t pull out my crowns.  I’ve never lost my lickerish for licorice.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment