Sunday, January 9, 2011

Endlessly, We Cycle


Endlessly, we cycle through the same questions and answers in less-than-one-minute intervals:

            “Did I take a shower last night?”

            “Yes.”

            “Is this the shirt I was going to wear today?”

            “That one goes in the dirty clothes.  This is the clean one.”

            “What am I supposed to do today?  I can’t remember.”

            “Today is Sunday.  You’ll be going out for lunch with John.”

            “Can you help me for a minute?  I have these shirts out.  What was I going to wear?”

            I hold the tie-dye shirt up to my nose.  Oops, this one isn’t clean, either.  I choose a patterned turtleneck and matching sweater to go with her corduroys.  This is way dressier than she usually chooses, but she thanks me, delighted with the new combination.

            When I leave for church, I will put my usual sticky note on the kitchen table that tells her where I am and reminds her that John will take her to lunch.

I am glad we are not in a hurry.  And I am grateful that John and I share caregiving.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment