Monday, June 21, 2010

In the Tradition of Sherlock Holmes

    I believe I have solved another mystery:  the origin of the brown blotches on my favorite chinos.
    Let me hasten to explain that those blotches, which first appeared to be permanent some months ago, faded away in the course of several washings.  Said chinos are still in use, though I am experiencing another problem with them—which I may detail later.

    Using my keen deductive reasoning, I arrived at the answer without even having to pose the question.  In the tradition of Sherlock Holmes, I quietly observed all available data and patiently waited for the pieces to fall together.  They did, just this morning.

    The conversation played out at the kitchen table, inspired by the 56 ounce bag of M & M’s.  (We purchase said candies in bulk for my mother, who has an insatiable sweet tooth.  Keeping plenty of chocolate handy helps her maintain her 92 pound weight.)

    Had I been less alert, I would have missed the significance of her happy comment about her hitherto unknown habit of keeping a few M & M’s in her pants pockets for easy consumption at any time.  “Ah,” I thought, “mystery solved.”

    For any Watsons out there, here is the simple trail of reasoning:  hidden M & M’s washed and dried with a load of light-colored clothing may result in brown stains on some items.

    The other problem, which seems unlikely in the presence of M & M’s, is that said chinos are now a size too big for me.  However, I am not complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment