Monday, June 14, 2010

The Ants Are Marching, One By One

June marks the annual ant invasion here at Casa Del Gato. 

One by one, the carpenter ants find their way from the woods into our houses.  I don’t mind seeing and smashing them on the floor, but when I find one climbing my arm I mind a lot. 

Carpenter ants always bring back memories.  In our sunny orange 70s kitchen in Douglas, Michigan,  I remember John pouring a bowl of ants instead of pre-sweetened cereal.  I remember Bob practicing his best rubber band shooting skills, killing the ants one by one at the sink.  And I remember Mom suddenly jumping up from the table and then returning to tell us she had just bitten an ant instead of a crumb, and it (the ant) bit back.

The only redeeming feature of carpenter ants is that they are easy to see for the kill.  The crunch of their exo-skeleton under my shoe is a little gross, though. 

It’s time to call the exterminator.

No comments:

Post a Comment