Saturday, July 30, 2016

Part Twenty-Two: When I Am Weak

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.  (Isaiah 40: 29-31, NIV)

            There are times in which I do not think I can stand this cancer treatment another minute.  Like during the last two weeks when the exhaustion never let up till the day before the next chemo appointment.  But then, God always shows up to encourage me and remind me that I can trust Him.
            He shows up in a variety of ways.  One is through family and friends.  My daughter checking in with me every day.  My neighbor rescuing me in my “out of cold brew coffee day.”  The lovely family dinner Thursday night (July 28) to celebrate Josiah’s first birthday.  Cards, texts, emails, Facebook comments, phone calls, errands run, food brought, lawn mowed, visits:  all of these cheer me immensely. 
            And then there was Tuesday, July 26, when I had a whole day of feeling good.  I went to K-Mart and to Billie’s Health Food Store that morning to pick up various items.  It felt so good to drive my car again and do something normal.  After napping and resting for the afternoon, I went to the Women’s Cancer Support Group at Hopestone.  There were ten of us total, some current cancer patients, other cancer survivors.  We each shared as much or as little of our stories as we wished and we learned from each other.  There were a few tears and a lot of laughter.  At the end, I felt encouraged, especially by the presence of several stage III breast cancer survivors (one 10 years and the other 25 years, I believe).  From there, I went over to visit my family across the street.  I had not seen the grandchildren in a week, and it was a lovely reunion.
            And then, the next day, Dana and I headed off in the rain for my OCSRI Tulsa appointment:  blood draw, consultation with Dr. Moussa’s nurse, Deb, and chemotherapy.  My daughter is such good company; plus, she is my determined advocate and “rememberer” of all the things I want to do but tend to forget, like having my picture taken in the treatment room and stopping everything to pray with me and the nurse before the first of the two chemo drugs.
            After a long time with Deb discussing my two weeks of exhaustion and one day of confusion (which Dana documented quite well), we came to a decision:  cut the chemo dosage by 20% this time and go in to see her next week so she can evaluate in person how I’m doing.  I finally remembered to ask, since no one had volunteered the information up to this point, what stage my cancer is.  She was a little surprised I didn’t know, checked the front of my chart, and said, “Stage IIIb.” 
            From the consultation we headed to the treatment room.  We were directed to a cubicle and got settled in for the three-hour infusion.  Each time we have been in a different section of the room, and each time we have had a different nurse.  All of them have been exceptional.
            I knew we were in for an extra treat when Wednesday’s nurse took special note of my prayer quilt and started sharing about Christ.  As she got things set up, she talked, looking straight into my eyes and sharing her own experiences of healing and comfort.  Her smile radiated love and joy.  As Dana and I listened to her and shared some of our faith as well, we were buoyed up by the Holy Spirit.  Our nurse had plenty of other patients to attend to, and every time she returned for the next task in our cubicle, she continued to share.  There was nothing off-putting about it.  Her words, her smile, and her joy brought peace.  One of the scriptures she talked about was Isaiah 40:31. Near the end of the treatment time, she asked if she could give me a little book and a small square quilt made and prayed over by her church. 
            Safely arrived at home an hour and a half later, I bid good-bye to my sweet daughter and silently prayed for her to have strength.  While I would retreat into my quiet living room to rest, she would go straight from being my helper for the day to tending to her family’s needs. 
            The mailman and someone else had left their offerings on my porch.  There was a box, two packages in the door, a WalMart bag with a wrapped present hanging from the door, and a greeting card in the mailbox.  The box had the sharpies disposal unit I had ordered for my Neulasta pumps.  The packages were for my son’s birthday next week, and the card was from my Sunday School class.  The wrapped present was a devotional coloring book.  Joan’s note inside said she would be praying Isaiah 40:29-31 for me this week. 

            The aftermath of Wednesday’s treatment is hitting harder today (Saturday).  But when I am weak, He is strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment