Thursday, November 7, 2013

            First, he looks surprised.  Then a smile spreads across his dear little face.  He walks over to me and laughs as he hugs me.  That is how Benjamin greets me each time I show up at his house.  Joelle smiles, revealing her four new teeth.  And I am happy.
            The days take shape with the business of settling in to a new place.  Someday soon, I hope, the last box will be unpacked; my computer, printer, and scanner will be set up; and the pictures will be hung.  Then, perhaps, I will remember to write again. 
            I miss the breathtaking majesty of snow-capped peaks and blue Sound water.  I miss the towering fir trees, the beach walks, and the twenty-mile drives between Greenbank and Oak Harbor.  I miss the health food aisles at Payless and Saars and the ubiquitous coffee drive-throughs.  I miss Chancel Choir, Tradewinds, and Enchanted Flute Choir.  I miss my life group, session, and writing for The Log.
            Yet I savor the Midwestern sunshine and autumn’s brilliant colors.  I am continually amazed at the size and comfort of my new home.  I cherish the time I have with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren.  I look forward to learning the names of all the people I have met at church.  And I wonder how God’s plan for me will unfold here.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment