Sunday, October 20, 2013

Saturday: Looking Forward



            Gorgeous red oak hardwood floors greet me as I come in the front door of my new home.  The fresh varnish and paint fumes have dissipated.  Sunday evening I will go to look at a dining room set; Tuesday afternoon the couch I purchased Friday will arrive.  And sometime by the end of the week my belongings from Mom’s Greenbank cabin in the woods should arrive.
            I’m feeling a little off balance, in a limbo of sorts.  My new life here has hardly begun and seems far from feeling real.  Tomorrow, though, I will visit Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church.  Between perusing the newly updated website and listening to last Sunday’s sermon online, I am pretty sure that on Wednesday I will be going to my first choir rehearsal.  Then, perhaps, my Oklahoma life will begin to feel real.
            In the meantime, I am enjoying time with my family.  Benjamin is surprised and happy each time I show up, and Joelle has warmed right up, too.  Dana and Shawn make me feel very much at home.  It’s just that I miss the island and church and friends.
            All this is to be expected.  I am looking forward to setting up my household when my stuff arrives.  I am looking forward to gradually establishing a routine and a rhythm to life here.  I am looking forward to the Kingdom adventures, whatever they may be, that wait just ‘round the bend.  I am looking forward to establishing new friendships, getting involved at church, and finding outlets for music and writing.  And I am also looking forward to visiting Whidbey Island, I hope, in April.

Here is a p.s.:  The people at Good Shepherd are very hospitable.  The choir, though small, sings well.  I’ll be there for choir practice Wednesday evening and the women’s small group Thursday at 1 p.m.  Membership class is November 10. 
This afternoon I went with Dana, Shawn, Benjamin, and Joelle to the Down Syndrome Association of Tulsa annual Buddy Walk.  It was extra special because this was the first time Benjamin could actually walk.  It was a great afternoon to be outside and I anticipate falling into bed by nine tonight.  Tomorrow morning it’s off to Benjamin’s eye appointment with Dana and Joelle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment