Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day Six



            After some more time with Joseph this morning, we were off to Kansas.  On very short notice, three friends came to the Colby Starbucks, and we had a really nice visit.  Connie and Carol, my former English department colleagues (perhaps sometimes known to our students as the plagiarism police); and Kathy, my friend who let me stay with her for a couple weeks before I got my apartment back in February 2008, all belong to the Presbyterian church in Colby.   It was so good to see them, and I plan visits back to Colby since I’ll be just an eight-hour drive away.
            The wind farms along I-70 were impressive.  I’ve never seen so many in such a short distance.  They stretched along the highway and on out to the horizon, miles and miles of them.  Perhaps some people think them an eyesore, but I like them.  The wind was blowing mighty hard today, and I liked thinking about those gusts creating electricity.
            So tonight we are in Salina, Kansas and will head off to Bartlesville in the morning.  It is finally beginning to sink in that I really am moving.  I’m feeling the first twinges of homesickness for Whidbey Island and my church family and am mighty glad that I’ll get to cuddle with my grandchildren tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment