Friday, October 5, 2012

Waking Up



            Not only did I eventually sleep soundly, but I learned something as well.  Too bad it wasn’t in my dreams.
            When I woke up this morning, a vague memory followed me out of bed.  It took but a second to verify:  there were my purses scattered on the floor. 
            As I popped my morning Prevacid, something else surfaced.  “Oh no,” I thought.  “Surely not.”  The longer I pondered, the more I sensed that this was no dream.  But first I made my coffee, took my other morning meds, and drank my morning protein shake.  Only then did I head toward my computer. 
            The first sign that I had been here earlier—and now I remember seeing 1:13 AM on my screen—was my credit card.  Waking my computer, I see the second sign typed in the Google search box:  “eharmonyh.”  It figures I added an extra letter in my addled state.  Now to the site.   Yup, it looks just like it does in my hazy, dreamlike memory banks. 
            Speaking of banks, maybe I had better check my credit card activity . . .  sure enough, there the charge is under “pending.”  What in the world have I done?
            I’ll tell you.  With this current flare of my fibromyalgia symptoms, I decided last night I needed a really good night’s sleep with no nocturnal awakenings, so I took a full dose of Ambien rather than my usual half dose.  True, I never woke during the night.  Also true:  it took a long time before dreamland claimed me, and instead of relaxing in bed, evidently I was busy taking inventory of my purse collection and signing up for a six-month subscription to eharmony.  Admittedly, a few years ago I had subscribed, but let my membership lapse when I realized that a relationship would complicate my life instead of enrich it.  Evidently, I had an Ambien lapse of judgment last night and subscribed again.
            Is this what retracing one’s steps feels like to the drinker?  Whether yea or nay, I don’t like it.  I’d rather learn from my dreams, not from any dreamlike state.  Fully awake now, I call customer care at eharmony and cancel my subscription.  Now I just need to put away my purses.

No comments:

Post a Comment