Friday, April 20, 2012

A Quiet Life


            “Jan?” the familiar, tentative voice asks.
            I turn, speaking gently:  “What do you need, Mom?”  And then I wake up.
            I’m supposed to miss her more.  Instead, I wake each day to a palpable relief.  Only occasionally do lonely moments catch up with me in the serenity of my newly arranged space.
            Weeks slip by in this new life.  Mornings, I wake up with coffee and the day’s Internet fix.  Sometimes I write, and always I practice one or both flutes.  On the days my brother John commutes into Seattle, I walk down a short stretch of driveway to the perimeter fencing and slide open the gate between cougar cages.  Then, over in my brother’s basement, I set the stainless steel feeding dishes to soak and start a load of laundry.  Those tasks will be picked up again mid-afternoon.
            After my sacrosanct daily nap, afternoons fill up with errands or writing, interspersed with household tasks and keeping my cat company.  Sometimes I have a friend over—it’s a real delight to show off my spacious living/office/kitchen area and the view of the woods from the back windows.
            I cook for two instead of three now, though the amounts are the same since Mom’s tiny stomach only allowed her the smallest of portions.  John arrives promptly at six, and we sit down to a simply, healthy meal.  He’s out the door to feed his big cats by 6:15.
            If I am not at flute choir or chancel choir, I am home, watching the last bit of the news and spending the rest of the evening reading or writing or transcribing the almost-century-old letters exchanged between my grandparents during their unofficial, lengthy engagement.  Sometimes I’m on the phone with my son.  (Phone conversations with my daughter come earlier in the day.)  Always the evening slips by quickly.  I end the day with Bible and cat in lap.
            It is a very simple, very quiet life interspersed with church activities, music, and occasional beach walks.  It is when I sit down at the piano to play a few elementary notes that the poignant moments arrive and I miss Mom—who she is now in mid-stage dementia and who she used to be when she was fully herself.
            I try not to picture her walking around the commons area of her new living space and wondering when her son and daughter will ever visit.  (Each time we do is a first time for her.Tuesday, April 24 will be her 85th birthday.  I’ll be there at Home Place for lunch and spend an hour in her eternal present, recycling simple conversation every few minutes.  Once I leave, she will not know I’ve been there, but at least I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment