Sunday, April 8, 2012

Furlough


            My brief furlough from Mom’s urgent requests for a furlough ended today.
            John brought her to second service this glorious Easter morning.  How she enjoyed the music and hymns!  When she caught sight of me in the choir, she gave me a happy little wave.  Twice.
            I met them at Wendy’s for lunch.   Knowing that she may have already forgotten the worship service, I said, “It was awfully nice having you and John at church this morning.” 
            “Oh, yes.  It was nice,” she replied a little vaguely.  Then she got right down to business.
            “I am working hard to earn a furlough, say a day or two, at home.  I’ve been getting my strength up by walking.”
            Furlough requests punctuated the conversation every couple minutes.  When we were done eating, about 12:40, John was ready to head off for home.  (A group of people was coming out to see the cats at two.)  He was happy to let me take Mom back to Home Place.
            Feeling rather generous, I suggested we take a ride.  With the sunshine and blue sky, it seemed the thing to do.  Mom was happy to comply.  She took her almost-empty cup of coffee and her half-eaten burger along.  We drove up the highway to Deception Pass Bridge, then turned around by Rosario State Park and came back, a very pleasant half-hour excursion.  Her furlough requests gradually faded as we exclaimed over the clear views of the mountains, the long contrail left behind by some unseen jet, and the cirrus clouds overhead.
            She managed few more requests as I walked her back into Home Place where we set her cold coffee and half burger down in her room.  I did not linger, longing to take a nap myself.  After a couple more hugs, the combination to leave, and my words, “I’ll see you in a few days,” I was on my way. 
            And for me, a little furlough until our next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment