Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Eyewitness Proclamation


            Two points from today’s sermon stick with me and move me profoundly.
            The first provides encouragement and comfort because I am no debater.  Put me in a debate, and I am sure to lose.  My brain freezes; plus, it seems like there are always good arguments on the other side.   Perhaps it is ironic that I enjoy the field of apologetics so much.  It’s important to know what we believe and why we believe it.  Just don’t ask me to debate it.  Instead, let me proclaim it.  Proclaiming versus explaining was the first point in the sermon.  Forgive my sacrilege, but the rhyme that comes to mind is from an old Alka-Seltzer commercial:  “Plop, plop, fizz, fizz; oh, what a relief it is!” 
            The second point produces even more relief.  Frankly, the fact that the gospels give variants of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ has always bothered me.  How do I reconcile the different accounts?  Do the differences diminish the sacred text, making it questionable?  No.  Eyewitness accounts, as Dave explained, are different than expert testimony.  Experts use their specialized training to interpret the facts.  Eyewitnesses tell what they personally saw and heard.  Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John may vary on some details—making their accounts even more humanly believable--but they agree on the central fact:  Jesus rose from the dead. 
            What a joyous message!  As a 21st century eyewitness to the risen Christ, I am in a much better position to proclaim than to explain.  Rather than try to convince you that I know what I’m talking about, I can simply tell you what I’ve seen and heard.  The words of the gospel song by Bill and Gloria Gaither come to mind:
God sent His son, they called Him Jesus
He came to love, heal, and forgive.
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride and joy he gives.
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

And then one day I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain.
And then as death gives way to victory,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone!
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives!

            The message is simple:  Jesus lives!  But it will take me a lifetime to tell you about my personal experience of new life in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment