Saturday, July 9, 2011

Berry Quandary

            Jewel-like ripe berries crown our bushes this summer.  John and I feast on the abundance as we walk the dogs down the driveway.  Mom harvests the crop.
            She comes in the house, bearing her berry gifts.  A throwaway plastic container is heaped high with the edible gems.  The abundant overflow sits in the big blue recyclables tub.
            Earlier today, I watched Mom wash out the tub at the kitchen sink and set it back on the floor.  I did not waste a second worrying about whether it was truly clean or thoroughly rinsed—after all, it is the repository for glass and plastic items.
            At the time, though, I hadn’t imagined it as a berry bucket.
            Mom is keen to freeze the berries right away and do it herself.  I retrieve the cookie sheet from the freezer and bag up the now-frozen strawberries she picked yesterday from our strawberry patch.  She washes and dries off the cookie sheet.   Then, showing remarkable restraint, I watch her dump the freshly picked wild blackberries onto the sheet, spread them out, and deliver them to the freezer shelf.
            Tomorrow I will take the cookie sheet of frozen wild berries and carefully inspect them, pulling out the stray non-berry items.  Last week I found what appeared to be a frozen slug.  Hopefully this batch will be free from slugs and leaves, but I’m unsure how to ensure it is free from recycling residue.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment