Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm Premonishing You


                Why admonish your children when you can premonish them?
                A word that must have been created for mothers all over the English-speaking world, “premonish” means “to warn beforehand.”
                And, to make sure your progeny understands, you can use a related form of the word:  “preadmonish.”
                I think of mothers empowered to make their soapbox speeches with this wonderful word to bolster their important proclamations.
                “I’m premonishing you, Susie:  don’t forget to look both ways.”
                “And before you even consider doing what I know you are planning, young man, let me preadmonish you that you will regret it if I ever find out about it.”
                I’m feeling better now that I’ve done my duty with Dictionary.com’s word of the day:  you can’t say that I left you unpremonished, even if you are not my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment