Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ready to Post


            Fortified by the knowledge that someone out there actually looks forward to my blog (yes, that’s you, Sally), I am ready to post again. 
            The only problem is coming up with a subject.  No, actually, I have a subject in mind but I am totally at her mercy.  And, for the moment, she is silent.
            But I guess I can fill up some blank space while I wait for her to speak.
            Sally reminded me in our phone conversation about one of my favorite writing subjects:  slugs.  I missed the Whole Foods April Fool’s Day website, but Sally let me know about one of the delicious items mentioned:  banana slug sundaes.  Or at least that’s what I think she said.  We have those banana slugs here in the great state of Washington—they are the gross yellowish-greenish ones.  The only slugs I have seen so far this spring are the little brown ones. 
            The frogs are out in full song, though. 
            “I’ll take that over to John’s tomorrow,” Mom says as she walks by the basket of laundry she folded earlier today.  “I forgot to tonight.”
            Let’s see . . . back to the frogs.  John tells me that when the pond dries up, there are usually lots of leftover dehydrated tadpoles.  I never wade in the pond, unlike our dogs who enjoy standing in and drinking from the tadpole-fortified and algae-flavored water. 
            Speaking of nature, and thinking of Mom who is at this minute in the kitchen digging out some ice cream (our freezer is exceptionally cold, which makes for rock-hard Tillamook), I agree with her that the blossoming trees have been lovely this spring. 
And speaking of Mom, she is foiling my writing plans by her uncharacteristic silence.  I was going to record our ever-repeating conversations in order to try to capture the flavor of short-term memory loss, but I guess she is too caught up in the flavor of Tillamook Sweet Centennial ice cream, which, admittedly, sounds a lot better than banana slug sundaes.




No comments:

Post a Comment