Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Yesterday She Sat


Yesterday she sat
And the day before that.
Today she is busy
Throwing me in a tizzy.

            I won’t need a walk to get my walking in today.  After most of the week not feeling well, Mom is back on track today.  It’s just that the track has changed somewhat.  Because I am less sure than ever what she may or may not do, I’m following in her footsteps:  tracking her, I guess you would say.  This morning that has involved two trips over to John’s house just to see what was and wasn’t done. 
            Actually, she has done very well so far.  She picked up the paper trash that the dogs scattered in the basement last night and stacked the cat dishes in the sink to be washed.  She has a basin of coffee grounds and vegetable leavings in John’s living room to take out to the compost pile and a basket of plastic bottles to go out to the trash can.  I went ahead and took the paper trash out of that basket and delivered it to the basement.  And she got her golf cart out of the shop for the first time this week.  It helps that the snow has melted.
            But, still, I am feeling a bit stressed.  It’s hard to stave away the worries and guilt I feel when I have things to do away from the house, such as the small group leaders’ meeting at church this afternoon and flute choir tonight.  Yet it is precisely those “away times” that keep me functional during the longer hours at home.  Care giving is a balancing act between her needs and my needs.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment