Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Broken World


I wrote this poem after the December 2004 Indonesia earthquake and tsunami that got me to thinking about what happens when tragedy strikes--more specifically, about the inner turmoil I was going through at that time.  The images of Japan's earthquake and tsunami are weighing on my heart, so I share this poem.
 
The earth tilted;
I fell,
Groping at ground cover,
Curled up until
Tremors thinned
Into seismic shift.

The sky was awry,
The world an unfamiliar rubble.
Groaning gripped me
While I, unbelievingly, saw
The chasm of chaos:
Gaping rock.

God became a fiend
And my inner landscape
Tumbled
With the roiling earth.
The blink was endless
As I took in
The terrible terrain.

In a jumbled second
Wilderness replaced my watered garden.
And only slowly
Did I know
That God lived in the gorge.

I am still learning
To add the “r” to fiend
And see Friend
In the midst of a broken world.

No comments:

Post a Comment