Monday, December 20, 2010

Don't Be Afraid!


            “Don’t be afraid!”

            I remembered the words of the sermon just hours later when fear gripped me.

            True, the context was different.  The “don’t be afraid” of the sermon referred to angelic  announcements made when God broke into a present reality with His supernatural power. God’s appearance often creates complications and always requires faith in the unseen.  My fear, though, came from facing unpleasant realities and contemplating potential catastrophes.

            A dark anxiety crept over me as my brother Bob and I discussed our mother’s care.  That insidious buzz of dread filled me, at once displacing any semblance of serenity.  

            Facing such insecurities and the unknown is unpleasant but necessary.  Dealing with the present problems demands patience and creativity.  Planning for a future we hope will not come is not easy.  My modus operandi tends to be denial, refusal to recognize the obvious.

            But living in today’s reality and facing tomorrow’s uncertainty is best done not afraid.  I don’t have to be afraid because I know that the Savior loves me.  I am certain that no matter the future, I am secure in God’s grace.  He asks me to use the brain he gave me to consider the best courses of action as I provide care for Mom.  Moreover, I am blessed with brothers who are involved and understand.

            Instead of caving in to fear, I am going to contemplate the God who created the universe.  He is telling me, “Don’t be afraid!”

No comments:

Post a Comment