Sunday, August 8, 2010

"Erudite" Is Not the Answer

  I missed a lot of good words on Dictionary.com this week, probably due to my mojo, which brought company from Austin and Detroit, resulting in less time to improve my vocabulary.  Even though I am a cheechako to Whidbey Island,  I know more than a minim about yeuk due to stinging nettle, biting ants, and hungry mosquitoes.  However, though I was not prepared to spatchcock the dead hens left at my brother’s door, I don’t mind spatchcocking words into this paragraph and taking the risk of unknown and unforeseen connotations that could reflect poorly on me, erudite as I am.  (And if you think I am serious, cease and desist.  This is just a small sampling of the verbal wit I used to inflict on unsuspecting students who would respond with blank stares rather than uproarious laughter.  Yes, those same blank stares that are erupting on faces of my readers at this very second.)

    Note, please, that I have deliberately used one of the week’s words somewhat inaccurately, and it’s not the first one, even if you are sure I do not have an ounce of mojo.  Can you guess?  Cheating is allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment