Sunday, July 1, 2018

Amazing Day


            It’s been an amazing day doing normal household tasks.  Before I tell you why such ordinary stuff is amazing, let me indulge my pride by telling you what I’ve done.
            Saturday morning means farmers’ market, just a few miles away.  After getting some cash at an ATM, I was ready to start strolling through the market at 8:30 am.  It was already hot by my standards but nowhere close to the 106 degrees heat index that arrived midday.  Fifteen dollars got me a dozen eggs, lettuce, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, red cabbage, and a white onion.  Pleased with my purchases, I put them in the cooler I keep in the car.  Good that I remembered the ice packs today.
            Getting in my car, I realized that now was better than later to round out my shopping at the local Walmart.  First destination:  produce section.  There I picked up a few sweet potatoes, heads of broccoli and cauliflower, jicama, organic celery, bananas, and a bag of organic Pink Lady apples. From there, I wandered the grocery aisles, picking up organic peanut butter, and pea protein-fortified unsweetened almond milk.  I hit the Omega-3 jackpot with canned tuna fish, red salmon, and smoked herring fillets—all sustainably caught or wild. Yum.
            Back at home, I unloaded the car, put away the food, and cut up some celery, cucumber, and jicama.  Instead of dipping them in hummus, I ate them plain along with a handful of grape tomatoes.  And then I was ready for a nap, and it was only 10:30!
            I never ignore my body’s siren song for naps, so I dutifully obeyed, waking an hour later.  After applying round two (or was it three) of coconut oil to help ward off the itching attack that was threatening, I added the protein I had neglected at my exceedingly early lunch:  peanut butter on banana.  What an exquisitely sweet treat along with my second cup of Teeccino/coffee for the day.  (I’m at the half and half point still.)
            Then, what to do?  I remembered the bills and paid the first of the month set.  From there I started some laundry, cleaned my bathroom sink and my BI-PAP accessories.  Three loads of laundry were done by suppertime, which was a lovely boiled dinner of sweet potato, broccoli, and onion, followed by a can of sardines.  (Kind of a strange combination, but it was good.)
            And still it is only six pm.  Now comes the explanation of how this ordinary-sounding day has been amazing.  A mere week ago, any one of those activities would have worn me out for the day.  Seriously, that’s how bad things have been energy-wise.  It felt so good to do the things that other people easily do in a day, instead of dragging them out over an entire week.  It’s an amazing new normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment