Sunday, March 19, 2017

Part Sixty-Four: Glory Gifts


            When I finally got going Saturday morning, my heart was singing.  Every little thing produced joy.  The pale green budding leaves on the trees.  The sunshine.  The sight of outdoor clearance racks at Walmart.  The availability of disinfectant wipes for the shopping cart handle.  You get the idea.
            Sometimes the Holy Spirit does stuff like that:  suffuse one’s being with joy over every little thing.  I like it when that happens.  I think I will call those times glory gifts.  They are glimpses of heavenly joy, packaged in the present.
            My evening was filled with even more glory gifts with an end-of-cancer treatment celebration at my daughter’s house.  Friend Joan came bearing gifts of tulips and a helium-filled Mylar “Celebrate!” balloon, which had a very short life due to an encounter with the ceiling fan.  Joelle enjoyed playing with the balloon before it popped, and after it popped, Josiah dragged it around the living room.  When we ate supper, Benjamin celebrated:  he loves having company over at mealtime. 
After those delicious hamburgers and homemade fries, we moved back to the living room where Dana and Shawn gave me a lovely present:  the Willow Tree Remembrance angel and the Sarah Young devotional, Jesus Lives.  Sleepy Benjamin retreated to his room; Joelle and Josiah ran and danced about as Dana sang and played her guitar.  During one lively worship song, Josiah ran about in circles, flinging one arm up in the air, his face alight with delight.  Afterwards, Joan bid us all adieu and left for home before dark. 
Still later, we enjoyed some ice cream and after the kids were all in bed, Shawn and Dana prayed for me.  What an evening of food, fellowship, and worship!
Thus begins a new season of life, full of possibilities.  Rest, recover, and renew are the words I think of to describe this time.  The Holy Spirit will lead the way on what unfolds over the next months.  I promise to be faithful to whatever avenues of ministry and service He opens.  And I plan to celebrate all the glory gifts along the way.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment