Friday, January 20, 2017

Part Fifty-Three: While I Was Waiting


            While I was waiting for the scheduling of my radiation treatments, Congress took the first step towards repealing the Affordable Care Act.
            While I was still waiting for the scheduling of my radiation treatments, President Donald Trump signed an executive order gutting the Affordable Care Act. 
            And then the phone rang and my radiation treatments were scheduled:  five days a week, starting January 23 and ending March 7.
            And then I read through my BlueCross BlueShield policy book, which came in the mail today, and I was reminded that the only reason I have such excellent health insurance is due to the Affordable Care Act.  Were it not for the ACA, my monthly premium would be 77% of my monthly income.         
Now I’m wondering how long it will be before I lose the tax subsidy that makes my health insurance affordable.  Because when that happens, I’ll be uninsured and perhaps uninsurable due to my pesky pre-existing medical conditions:  breast cancer, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, and pre-diabetes.
While I’m waiting for the federal government to kill off the Affordable Care Act, I will gladly drive to Tulsa for my radiation therapy.  I will figure out which of my eight prescription medications I will be able to afford to take without health insurance.  Oops, there is going to be a ninth pill soon due to the radiation:  thyroid. 

Naturally, the whole time I am waiting, I will be praying.  Not just for myself but for all Americans who might lose their health insurance.

1 comment: