Saturday, January 7, 2017

Part Fifty-One: Another Beginning


            The call came Friday afternoon two blocks from home.  Stopped for a school bus, I answered my cellphone: “Hello, this is Janis.”
            “Hi, Janis; this is Sarah from Dr. Nguyen’s office.  We have a slot open Monday for your CT simulation.  Let me ask, just to be sure: you want your treatment in Tulsa, right?”
            “Yes,” I answered, sealing my fate.  But I’ve thought long and hard about this decision.  And prayed, too, of course.  What I come up with is that for six weeks of my life I can drive to Tulsa five days a week to have the doctor I really like, the one who explains everything so thoroughly and who knows her stuff so well.  I’ll only actually see her once a week, but the drive is still worth that to me.
            Thus, on Monday, January 9, I will be at OCSRI-Tulsa for my 11 a.m. CT simulation and tattoos (tiny dots for radiation reference points).  I will do my best to follow Dr. Nguyen’s previous advice to pretend I am a sack of potatoes.  In other words, I must completely relax while the technician is adjusting my position, which must be precisely the same for every treatment that follows. 

            I imagine that I will learn at least a couple things within the next two months:  getting comfortable with Tulsa traffic and finding the secret to complete relaxation lying half-naked on a hard surface with my right arm up over my head.  I also plan to get well acquainted with the drive home through Owasso, where I can eat at Panera’s and grocery shop at Sprouts.  I doubt I will buy any sacks of potatoes, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment