Saturday, August 27, 2016

Part Twenty-Nine: Taxol Day #1


            Holly and I arrived at OCSRI-Tulsa for my nine a.m. appointment.  Since school has started up again and my son-in-law is back in the classroom teaching, daughter Dana can no longer take me to appointments.  I am so blessed to have friends that jump at any opportunity to help me.  If there is a silver lining in the cancer cloud, it is friends:  acquaintances become trusted friends and trusted friends become even closer than before.
            In the lab, I was pleasantly surprised to have one of the nurses from my very first treatment.  It was nice to talk with her and find out the latest concerning her seven-year-old twins.  I even made sure to read her name tag, but already I have forgotten her name.
            From the lab, Holly and I made the short trek to the doctor appointment waiting area.  It didn’t take long before my name was called.  My oncologist had a medical student with him today, and after introductions, Dr. Moussa said with a smile, “Two doctors for the price of one!”  I rather like it when he has a med student because he then gives a brief summary of my case, most of which I understand.  Medical repetition is an essential learning tool for me.
            Both lab and doctor cleared me for today’s chemo.  We waited the usual twenty minutes or so in the treatment waiting room before being called back.  For the first time, I was placed in a “double.”  Most of the cubicles are set up for one patient; a “double” is set up for two patients.  I had my choice of recliners.  Then I was pleasantly surprised to see that the nurse who had done my blood draws in the lab earlier was also going to be my main nurse for treatment!
            She hooked me up to the first IV drip—a steroid/anti-nausea combination—and not long thereafter an older gentleman was directed to our cubicle.  He sat down in the other guest chair instead of the other recliner.  I don’t remember exactly how, but Holly included him in our conversation and he shared his story.  His wife died from cancer twelve years ago, and now he has cancer in several organs.  He explained, though, that he had felt led to just do injections instead of IV chemotherapy.  We talked about our faith in Christ.  He has been a music minister since 1958, and the peace and love he has for the Lord simply exuded from him.  It wasn’t long until he was called away to receive his injection, but those few minutes talking with him were the highlight of the two hours in the treatment room.
            I remembered to have Holly take my picture and to stop everything to pray just before the chemo drug, Taxol, was hooked up even though I was more than a little drowsy and spacy from the IV Benadryl drip.  I dozed for a good part of that last hour.
            Earlier, I had been given my Bartlesville and Tulsa dates from the scheduling office, so all that remained was a stop at the in-house pharmacy for a refill of one of my anti-nausea drugs.  And then the drive home, pleasantly filled with conversation and laughter.  I noted the relative absence of lower back pain, which was especially wonderful after what had happened this morning when I got up—the most intense lower back pain I have ever experienced.  Every movement caused excruciating pain:  walking, reaching out or up or down, turning, sitting.  I took a pain pill, which started to help a little by the time Holly arrived, but I could not carry my bag and getting into her van was challenging. 

            I’m thinking that seeing an orthopedic doctor is in my near future.  Hopefully, a physical therapist, too.  At least I already know what is wrong from earlier imaging:  degenerative disc disease.  In the meantime, I’ll gradually increase my walking, stop picking up anything heavy, avoid hours in my recliner, use the ACE ice pack, and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment