Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Wheat-Free, Mostly Sugar-Free Life



            Beyond delicious.  Scrumptious, soft, and sweet.  Like pumpkin pie with no crust.  Perfect for my sweet tooth.  The best bedtime snack ever:  big, soft slices of cold sweet potato, chased with a glass of one percent milk. 
            Thank you for asking.  I am 2 ½ weeks into the wheat-free, mostly sugar-free life.  Two weeks from now I will eat something wheat and see what happens.  On the basis of that experiment, I will decide whether or not to go gluten-free for good.
            At the start, I hoped for a dramatic, life-changing result from which I could write a bestselling book:  No Grain, No Pain.  Alas, that was not to be.  The blood sugar highs and lows are, for the most part, gone.  It’s nice not to fall into exhaustion every afternoon, though I do not allow that little detail to eliminate my daily naps.  Unfortunately, the body aches and pains soldier on, ignoring my resolve to break up their ranks. 
            I have found some delicious, easy recipes along the way, like vegetables roasted in olive oil with a sprinkle of coarse sea salt, and variations of fillings for flaxseed wraps, most including avocado and alfalfa sprouts.  The one notable failure was a supposedly delicious hot breakfast cereal made from ground flaxseed, unsweetened coconut, and walnuts:  the result was a thick paste.  I managed to eat some of the walnuts, but the experience ruined me on ground flaxseed for days.
            You would think that eliminating all pasta, breads, cookies, crackers, and coffee shop pastries would result in a slimmer me.  However, that is not the case.  I’ll blame it on the sweet potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment