Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dietary Update



            I started with spelt.  Yesterday I had a most delicious sandwich:  Adams 100% Natural Peanut Butter on Dave’s Killer Bread (the Good Seed Spelt variety).  And nothing happened.
            Spelt, by the way, is an ancient wheat that is more nutritious than today’s hybridized dwarf wheat.  It seemed a good thing to try after a month of eating gluten-free.  (Well, as gluten-free as I could get:  it wasn’t until after I took Communion for the second time in a month that it occurred to me I had just eaten a bite of white bread.)
            So far, so good.  I’m ramping into a modified diet that features mostly raw vegetables and fruits.  Because eating entirely gluten-free/or vegan/or raw foods is so hard to maintain, I’ll allow myself occasional whole grains, some dairy, and a little meat.   
            Going gluten-free for a month made me realize how much I lived on carbohydrates.  (Even the whole grains kind--when consumed all the time--spikes one’s blood sugar.)  In the last week, it has slowly occurred to me that I am feeling less pain and fatigue overall, which provides the willpower to just say no to treats.
The other delicious sandwich I had yesterday used cucumber as the bread.  Scoop out the seeds and mix them with mashed avocado, a tad of mayonnaise, and a shake of sea salt, and you have a really yummy meal. 
However, I have no intention of giving up coffee or dark chocolate.  There:  I’ve “spelt” my new diet out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment