Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Slug Guts

What is green and gooey and sticky? You guessed: slug guts. I acquired them on the soles of my good shoes as I walked along the driveway earlier today. The first sign appeared as I went up John’s front porch steps: dried grass sticking out from the right side of my right shoe. “Oh, no. Dog poop,” I thought. But as I turned my foot to see, no stench assaulted my nose. Instead, I saw a pale green strip of slime topped with horns.
So I stopped and scraped my shoe, first against the concrete patio stone. Then I slid my shoe (still on my foot) along a tree root or two, followed by the slippery grass. At Mom’s front porch, I used the end of the second step. By the time I tiptoed into the house, there was just a tiny bit of grass and gunk left, which I dispatched quickly with a Kleenex.
Such is the price I pay when I look up at the trees and sky instead of down at my feet. But, hey, all experience is useful in a writer’s life. Who knows? Today’s goo may be tomorrow’s Pulitzer prize. Well, that is rather dramatic. At least I had the opportunity to gross you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment