Thursday, May 13, 2010

Senior Recruitment

I am being recruited to play in the senior citizen band that plays for the monthly dances at the senior center in Oak Harbor.
How, might you ask, did I become a person of interest? By playing in a flute duet in church.
At first I didn’t think I really wanted to play with the old geezers. Then, last night after choir practice, I was given a notebook of thirty tunes for their May 29 dance. I still wasn’t convinced.
But today I decided to play through a few of the pieces, all very simple. Pretty soon I was hooked, somewhere around number six: “Bye Bye Blues.” I kept playing through songs like “Five Foot Two” and “Shine on Harvest Moon.” By the last song (“I’ll See You in My Dreams”), any reservations had fled. I don’t even care if the group sounds horrible. To have a chance to croon (on my flute, that is) and emote the oldies of a previous generation at a dance, no less, just sounds like too much fun.
And, after all, it will be a chance to feel young. Very, very young, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment