Saturday, July 15, 2017

Choosing


            Two-year-old Josiah handed me the wide-brimmed straw hat.  I placed it upon his head.  Immediately pleased, he smiled and walked into my dining room.  Standing in front of the mirrored curio cabinet, he admired his reflection. 
            Four-year-old Joelle asked for fizzy water with ice and a straw.  She chose a purple straw while I dispensed her drink, and then she drank it happily.
            Eight-year-old Benjamin grinned at me and led me to the piano.  I knew what he wanted, so I played and sang “The Wheels on the Bus” while he rocked to the beat.
            Three children.  Three requests granted.  Nothing earth-shattering, just happy little interactions that make this grandma’s heart sing.
            I wonder what would happen if we adults lived in the simple trust that God was happy to interact with us.  If we came to him for help.  If we came to him with our thirst.  If we came to him with our joy.

            We would find that simple choices to place our confidence in him would lead to loving interactions.  We would open ourselves to receive every little thing he wants to give.  We would find our delight in choosing him in all things, big and small.  And God’s heart would sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment