Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Part Sixty-Six: Amateur Status


            I’ve already found out that I do not know as much as I thought I did about breast cancer.  That should come as no surprise.
            After all, I have spent my life on a learning curve.
            For instance, as a college German major, I felt confident my junior year as I embarked on a semester-long stay in Freiburg, Germany.  But the moment I disembarked the airplane in Frankfurt, I discovered that I did not understand a single word of the German spoken to me.  Ten years or so later, as I began graduate studies in English, I was sure that at the end of the two-year program, I would be an expert.  Not so.  The more I studied, the more I realized how little I knew.
            In such a manner, life has continued:  just about the time I start to consider myself a pro in any given field, endeavor, or life experience . . . well, that is the point where I suddenly realize my amateur status.  Because the more you learn, the less you know. 
            A friend of mine started chemotherapy about the time I ended radiation.  To my complete surprise, her chemotherapy regimen is completely different than mine was.  Different types of breast cancer require different types of treatment.  Different people experience different side effects.  Yet, I would venture to say that all breast cancer survivors have a deepened empathy for breast cancer patients.  We’ve been through it.  We know how long and hard the journey is.  We can listen, really understand, and sometimes offer a helpful tip or two.

            I wondered what it would feel like the first time I entered the treatment room as a visitor rather than as a patient.  I wondered if it would be traumatizing.  Nope.  It was a familiar place.  I remembered how it felt to be the person in the reclining chair.  I was happy to visit my friend.  I wish she did not have to go through all that comes with breast cancer treatment, but I am happy to be part of her journey, even though I am no expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment